Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"Subconscious Mode" for Smartphones Could Extend Battery Life


I was really excited about getting my iPhone 4S after being a BB fan for years. I read the rave reviews about extended battery life but after about 3 weeks of using the phone and numerous audio and GPS based apps I came to realize that I cannot be more than 5 hours away from a power source. Really? Is this what I have to worry about and look forward to? I'm paranoid that I may miss that all important call from the wifey for the "honey do" list. With all this innovation and talk about battery technology why cant we run a device for more than 5-6 hours. I'm being a bit over dramatic but it's true. I see how the accessory makers make their money. There may finally be some hope. According to this article there are trying to make use of a new subconscious mode. It would be like sleeping but still being able to "listen" for your name if someone calls you. This way you don't waste energy. The expected gain is about a 54% duration. Well now I don't have to worry about it for another 3 or 4 hours. Hey, it's progress. I'll gladly take it.

Here's an excerpt of the article:

A proof-of-concept stage "subconscious mode" for smartphones and other WiFi-enabled mobile devices could extend battery life by as much as 54 percent for users on the busiest networks, described in a paper titled "E-MiLi: Energy-Minimizing Idle Listening in Wireless Networks."

"We came up with a clever idea," Shin said. "Usually, messages come with a header, and we thought the phone could be enabled to detect this, as you can recognize that someone is calling your name even if you're 90 percent asleep."

When used with power-saving mode, the researchers found that E-MiLi is capable of reducing energy consumption by around 44 percent for 92 percent of mobile devices in real-world wireless networks.

No comments:

Post a Comment